The Hype Cycle was developed by Gartner, a research and consulting firm for information technology, in order to study the life cycle of special products, the new technologies. Gartner realized that new technologies almost never follow the basic product life cycle curve with the introduction, growth, maturity and decline stages. Instead, new technologies are more likely to follow a “Hype Cycle” with the following stages:
- Technology Trigger: ideas are launched and some technologies emerge
- Peak of inflated expectations: some products are successful and bring attention from more and more people
- Trough of Disillusionment: a decline of interest for the product which can survive after that or die
- Slope of Enlightenment: a renewal of interest for the product and new users coming
- Plateau of of productivity: almost everyone have heard of the product and have joined it
Where is Travello is the Hype Cycle?
Today, I think that Travello app is between the peak of inflated expectations and the trough of disillusionment.
In a video for Ventured posted on YouTube in August 2016, Ryan Hanly, the CEO and co-founder of the app, explains that within the first day of launch they had more than 1,000 downloads and the app was used in 40 countries already (video: between 2:40 and 2:55 min). It was great start for the app and it continued to grow during the year. But after some changes of the app in May 2016, Travello began to really reach more people and some media, such as Mashable, The Sociable or The Huffington Post, wrote articles about it.
However, the most recent articles that can be found about Travello date back to 2016, between August and December 2016. I found only one article in Travel Weekly published in February 2017. It seems that people and media have their interest declining for the app. The rise of other and older apps used by travelers can be a reason for the decline. Indeed, TripAdvisor or Google Maps are older apps but with more content and maybe more useful for directions and searching for attractions nearby.
Travello could be used by more people if the app insist on their core functionality which is to connect travelers with each other! It can also first be well settled in Australie as it seems to be now, and now reach other English-speaking countries such as the United States which have less users in the app.
- Gartner Hype Cycle, Research Methodolodies
- #Ventured video
- Mashable, “7 must-have apps”
- The Sociable, “Travello app connects travelers with like-minded souls on the go”
- The Huffington Post, “5 Super Simple Ways To Make Friends While Traveling”
- Travel Weekly, “Exclusive: Travel App Expands With Aussie Partners”
- Wikipedia, “Hype Cycle” (image)